EVENTS & NEWS




Museum Tours Available

Tours for students, boy scouts, girl scouts, cub scouts and special groups are available.  Please call 951-678-1537 to make arrangements.


"High Country" Issues For Sale!

Lake Elsinore Historical Society has received a donation of issues of "High Country" from Tom Hudson's family.  These publications were printed beginning in the 1960's and have many wonderful stories for your enjoyment.
The authors include Tom Hudson, Sam Hicks, Al Newhart, Erie Stanley Gardner and many others.
The covers have paintings by Ralph Love who lived and painted in Lake Elsinore before moving to Temecula and continuing his painting in "The Shack".
The issues are new issues and are collectors' items!


An 'old and tall' rose

(Before The Californian was sold to a new owner it printed "Roses and Raspberries" in one of their issues.
The article below appeared in the November 20, 2012 issue.)

A rose goes to the folks who raised private funds and worked collaboratively with the property owner to preserve Lake Elsinore's Tank House, an unusual building that is as tall as is is long and believed to date from the 1880's.  It was used to house equipment that pumped mineral water to locals spas from hot springs that once made the city famous.  When the owner wanted to demolish the building, members of the Lake Elsinore Historical Society, the Luiseno Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution, and others raised money and moved the building onto land donated for the purpose by the City.  Slapping a historical designation on a property can be a nightmare for the owner but this community made the process work like a dream.

HOPE
(Helping Our People of Elsinore)


HOPE was started in the early 1990's by a group of churches in the area and manned by volunteers as it is today.

HOPE can be reached at 951-245-7510.



Santa Fe Depot

The Riverside County Board of Supervisors, at their meeting on Tuesday, March 22, 2011, voted to approve the Santa Fe Depot, now the home of the Lake Elsinore Valley Chamber of Commerce, as an historical landmark.  The train station was built in 1896 by the California Southern Railway Company.  The station was used by passengers and for freight shipments of farm products in its heyday.  The Riverside County Historical Commission, chaired by Joyce Hohenadl, recommended the designation in November

1925 American LaFrance Fire Engine



The first fire engine owned by the City of Lake Elsinore had a broken clutch and it has been repaired by the City of Lake Elsinore's Maintenance Crew.  It was restored by the Lake Elsinore Historical Society and a committee chaired by LEHS Member Russ Burns.  We are delighted it was in the Put Unity in the Community Parade held on November 21, 2009 and was one of the parade's highlights.  Elsinore No. 1 is a beauty and we are very proud to have this treasure to show off to the community!

Historic Downtown Lake Elsinore Next Exit

California State Historic Brown Signs have been installed by the City of Lake Elsinore.  The signs were erected recently on Interstate 15 at the northbound and southbound exits to Main Street with arrows pointing to the City's nostalgic downtown district

Museum Hours

 Main Street Museum
183 North Main Street
(Use Heald Avenue Entrance)
Lake Elsinore, CA 92530


The Society was founded in 1996 to collect, protect, preserve, display and further the presentation of items and documents of historical value and significance from the Lake Elsinore Valley.

Wednesdays and Saturdays - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
Sundays - 1:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m.

If a group wishes to tour the Museum, please leave a message at (951) 678-1537